It is recommended that all pupils in the Senior phase read as much quality journalism as possible and continually revise their main texts and techniques.
This exam is split into the following areas:
- Folio - Two pieces of extended writing (max. 1000 words) which are sent to the SQA and count for 30% of the overall grade.
- RUAE - Pupils will be provided with an article and a series of questions to respond to testing their understanding, analysis and evaluation skills. This section also counts for 30% of the overall grade and will be completed under timed conditions in the final exam.
- Scottish Set Text - An extract from a poem or play which has been studied in class will be given to pupils and they must analyse this in relation to the wider themes and ideas in the rest of the text. This section counts for 20% of the overall grade and will be completed under timed conditions in the final exam.
- Critical Essay - After studying their main text(s) in class, pupils will be given essay questions and must respond to one of these under timed conditions in the final exam. This section counts for the final 20% of the overall grade.
- Talking and Listening units must also be completed in class in order to achieve this qualification.